Certificate in Weight Management > Our Approach | Course Structure | Who should enrol? | Teaching Faculty | Venue | FAQs
Certificate courses > 1. Weight Management Essentials | 2. Nutrition for Fat Loss | 3. Physical Activity for Fat Loss | 4. Weight Loss Coaching
When & where is this course held?
Online May 2013. Subscribe to be alerted
What is the course about?
At last, there is a course that combines the very best from wellness coaching and positive psychology with specialist insight and motivational techniques for weight management. In this inspirational course presented by Matt O'Neill and Susie Burrell, you'll learn powerful techniques to help you and your clients achieve long term, food, fitness and weight management success.
What do people say about this course?
"Great presentation! Clear, upfront and immediately practical. Lots of examples to deal with different situations" - T Miles
"Great coaching with tips for dealing with a variety of clients form the very easy to the challenging." - B Wilding
"Fun and interactive sessions that deal with real-life
scenarios." - M Koolen
"Fantastic - great information that I can take away and use immediately" - S Marryatt
How long is the course?
Appproximately 10 hours when online in May.
Who is lecturing?
BSpSc(Nut&Diet), MSc(Nut&Diet), APD, AN, Nutritionist & Director, SmartShape Centre for Weight Management
Targeted course sessions
Session 1 - Psychological profiling for weight loss
Session 2 - Thinking about weight loss
- Survey results about dieting & exercise beliefs
- Research on motivatiors for weight loss
- Key questions about motivation and readiness
- Predicting progress and formulating plans
Session 3 - Behavioural coaching techniques
- How habits really work for weight management
- The top 5 thoughts that get in the way of results
- Overview of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Application to diet and exercise behaviours
Session 4 - Dealing with psychological challenges
- Goal and target setting for nutrition and fitness
- Motivational interviewing for weight loss
- Strategies to build motivation and commitment
- Tips and techniques of top weight loss coaches
Session 5 - The role of the weight loss coach
- Sabotage and strategies to deal with it
- Emotional eating triggers and tips to eliminate them
- Managing weight and diet-related stress
- Planning for and managing plateaus
Session 6 - Initial coaching session checklist
- Establishing the coaching relationship
- Knowing when its going well and when its not
- Personal rewards and looking after `self'
- Referrals and professional practice
Session 7 - Successful follow-on sessions
- The phases of a weight loss coaching session
- Maintaining focus and developing a plan
- Obtaining commitment
- Demonstration of initial weight loss coaching sessions
Session 8 - Relapse and long-term success
- How to review progress and plan session outcomes
- Dealing with emotional resistance
- Managing over-confidence
- Demonstration of follow-on sessions
In this course you will learn how to:
- Program breakers and makers
- Reframing relapse into learning and progress
- Encouiraging a positive body image
- The maintenance mindset
This course is ideal for:
- Profile clients motivational readiness for weight loss
- Rethink weight management for a fresh approach
- Use powerful questionning that stimulates results
- Turn emotional challenges into powerful insights
- Structure clients sessions for maximum impact
- Enlist additional social or professional support
What is included?
- Personal Trainers
- Weight loss consultants
- Dietitians and naturopaths
- Medical practitioners
- Anyone interested in gaining real insight and skills for weight loss coaching!
How is it assessed?
- Eight interactive sessions by Matt
- Comprehensive course notes
- Course assessment & CEC points
- Telephone & email learning support
Course assessment is optional, but required if you wish to obtain CEC points from Fitness Australia.
Assessment consists of:
How many CEC points are available?
- Submission of course activity sheets
- Written post-course exam and case study
- Completion of a mock client telephone interview
We will apply for at least 10 CECs from Fitness Australia.
Accreditation & qualification
We will apply to have this short-course Accredited for Continuing Education with Fitness Australia. It provides specialist training in weight management & fat loss in addition to what is provided in the Fitness Instructor (Certificate III) and Personal Trainer (Certificate IV) qualification.
This course - as is the case for all other short courses - cannot formally qualify you as a Weight Loss Consultant. However, we are advocating the need for such an accreditation to be available. SmartShape's Certificate in Weight Management is leading the way in this area.
Matt is passionate about providing best-practice teaching that is not available elsewhere. Matt's courses have empowered health and fitness practitioners to get superior results for their clients for over 20 years.
Course enrolment fee
Will be $375 inc GST when available in May. Subscribe to be alerted
Details to note
Payment must be received in full to confirm your enrolment. You can pay by Mastercard or Visa online, or by cheque made out to 'SmartShape P/L'. If you wish to pay by direct bank deposit, please contact us on (02) 9620 9511 for details.
We respect your privacy and will not share any of your personal or registration details without your express permission.
Enrolments for online courses will be acknowledged by an email by end of next business day. If you do not receive notification within 48 hours of registering online or sending your form, please contact us to ensure we have received your details.
You will receive a Tax Invoice with your course materials.
We want you to feel confident enrolling, so at any time during the first 30 days from enrolment, you would like to cancel your online course, we will provide a full refund.
Course information is correct at time of publication but may be subject to change without notice. SmartShape reserves the right to change course dates and content. The organiser does not take financial responsibility for changes or disruptions that are beyond their control.