Certificate in Weight Management > Our Approach | Course Structure | Who should enrol? | Teaching Faculty | FAQs
Certificate courses > 1. Weight Management Essentials | 2. Nutrition for Fat Loss | 3. Physical Activity for Fat Loss | 4. Weight Loss Coaching
Advance Enrolments NOW OPEN with the following immediate benefits:
Final course sessions will now be released during April/May 2017 with the full course & assessment available by June 2017. If you are keen to learn now, jump in!
- First access to the Course Sessions 1, 2, 3 & 4 online now (around 20 hours total).
- Download & use the SmartShape 5-Star Model for Weight Management Success.
- Complimentary access to Matt O'Neill's shared "Weight Loss Coaching" Evernote Notebook
- Over 80 links to recommended reading, references, books & resources.
Ready to enrol?
Existing customers: Did you enrol in a previous SmartShape course for $337. If so, you get this same price now using Coupon code 'custdisc' (we will verify all enrolments at this price).
What is the course about?
Having the right mindset is crucial to fat loss success. Now, you can learn the psychology of weight management in one easy course.
This program combines the very best from wellness coaching and positive psychology with specialist insight, motivational techniques and business advice for weight management.
In this inspirational course presented by Matt O'Neill, you'll learn powerful techniques to help you and your clients achieve long term, food, fitness and weight management success.
What do people say about this course?
"Great presentation! Clear, upfront and immediately practical. Lots of examples to deal with different situations" - T Miles
"Great coaching with tips for dealing with a variety of clients from the very easy to the challenging." - B Wilding
"Fun and interactive sessions that deal with real-life
scenarios." - M Koolen
"Fantastic - great information that I can take away and use immediately" - S Marryatt
Who is lecturing?
BSpSc(Nut&Diet), MSc(Nut&Diet), APD, AN, Nutritionist & Director, SmartShape Centre for Weight Management
Learn and use the SmartShape 5-Star Success Model
In this SmartShape course you learn the five key areas of weight management to help you become a highly effective Nutrition Coach or Weight Loss Coach.
Each star includes five elements to create a total of 25 elements or "star factors" to help you become an effective Weight Loss Coach:
1. Coaching - You'll start with a clear, step-by-step framework to organise your client sessions for maximum impact. You'll learn the 5 A's Coaching Process to Assess, Advise, Agree, Assist and Arrange your clients' success.
2. Profiling - You'll be able to perform comprehensive client profiling for Weight, Health, Diet, Activity and Vitality to gather essential client information and guide your specific recommendations for diet, exercise and wellbeing.
3. Tools - You'll discover how to effectively use a practical toolbox for client Goal Setting, Action Planning, Skill Building, Self-Monitoring and Progress Tracking.
4. Solutions - Then, you'll be shown how to offer personalised solutions for the five barriers to weight loss; Situations, Habits, Thoughts, Emotions and Relationships.
5. Business - Finally, you'll be able plan how to get and keep weight management clients using a powerful business model that will Inspire, Motivate, Manage, Reward and Retain (or Refer) clients.
The 5-Star Success Model is unique to SmartShape and provides a clear framework for you to build your weight loss coaching sessions and programs.
Watch the course introduction
Click to see why you should choose a SmartShape Certification & what you'll learn in Weight Loss Coaching (24 minutes).
New & updated course outline, including business & practice set-up advice
Session 1 - Your exciting role as a weight loss coach
Session 2 - Positive habits for automatic results
- Defining weight loss coaching & your unique role
- Personality typing as a powerful for you & your clients
- The very best of popular psychology & behaviour change
- The SmartShape 5-Star Model for Weight Management Success
Session 3 - Thinking your way to success
- Designing a fit & healthy personal environment
- The biology of behaviour, routines and habits
- Simple steps for re-programming bad habits
- The 5 stages of behaviour change
Session 4 - Delivering effective coaching sessions
- The power of thoughts, beliefs & values
- Strategies to create mind-shifts in thinking
- Building acceptance & commitment
- Outsmarting food & fitness excuses
Session 5 - Overcoming set-backs & sabotage
- First session essentials, goals & targets
- Motivational interviewing techniques
- Practical monitoring & progress tracking
- Effective follow-up sessions & program timelines
Session 6 - Dealing with challenging situations
- The science of relapse and sabotage
- Managing eating triggers & side-tracks
- Building your dream team of social support
- Bouncing back from major set-backs
Session 7 - Roadmap to permanent change
- How to help clients who don't change
- Boosting body image & self-esteem
- Dealing with disordered eating
- When to refer on or recruit extra help
Session 8 - Setting up your successful coaching practice
- Predictors of permanent weight loss
- Achieving a transformation in eating & exercise
- Achieving the maintenance mindset
- What else can I enhance in my life?
What is included?
- Bookings, billing & all the basics to get started
- Pricing, programming and promotions
- Communicating with clients who cancel
- Value-adding, online coaching & new opportunities
In this course you will learn how to:
- Eight interactive sessions by Matt
- Downloadable course slide notes PDF (optional printed copy)
- Course assessment & CEC points (when approved)
- Telephone & email learning support
View the course anywhere
- Profile clients motivational readiness for weight loss
- Rethink weight management for a fresh approach
- Use powerful questionning that stimulates results
- Turn emotional challenges into powerful insights
- Structure clients sessions for maximum impact
- Enlist additional social or professional support
You will be able to watch, listen and learn on your computer, tablet, iPhone or Android smartphone, whenever you like with wifi.
The online player used for this SmartShape course is device and user-friendly to ensure your positive learning experience. It even remembers where you left off, so you can resume viewing when you next open the presentation.
This course is ideal for:
How long is the course?
- Personal Trainers
- Weight loss consultants
- Dietitians and naturopaths
- Medical practitioners
- Anyone interested in gaining real insight and skills for weight loss coaching!
Appproximately 10 hours with written activities.
How is it assessed?
Course assessment is optional, but required if you wish to obtain CEC points from Fitness Australia.
Assessment consists of:
How many CEC points are available?
- Submission of course activity sheets
- Written post-course exam and case study
- Completion of a mock client telephone interview (purchase separate for $99)
We will apply for at least 10 CECs from Fitness Australia.
Accreditation & qualification
We will apply to have this short-course Accredited for Continuing Education with Fitness Australia. It provides specialist training in weight management & fat loss in addition to what is provided in the Fitness Instructor (Certificate III) and Personal Trainer (Certificate IV) qualification.
In Australia, there is no formal regulation or qualification as a Weight Loss Coach or Consultant. By completing this course and and the other three courses to obtain your SmartShape Certificate in Weight Management, we are confident that you can use the title Weight Loss Coach or Weight Loss Consultant.
Matt is passionate about providing best-practice teaching that is not available elsewhere. Matt's courses have empowered health and fitness practitioners to get superior results for their clients for over 20 years.
BONUS Access to Matt's "Weight Loss Coaching" Notebook via Evernote
Weekly news and research updates included
With this course, you will receive access to weekly psychology, behaviour and weight loss motivation news updates, direct to your smartphone and computer via the Evernote App.
Click to see a sample notebook
This simple app allows Matt to share the best, handpicked and tagged nutrition news, research and links with you. Access to Matt's shared "Weight Loss Coaching" folder is included with your course, so you can stay at the cutting edge of nutrition.
Call 02-9987 2735 to enrol
Online Course Fee - $AUD375
Add $24 for a printed copy of all course slides in notes book posted to you.
Add $54 for notes book posted overseas.
30-Minute Tele-Interview Assessment - $AUD99
Optional for assessment & CECs from Fitness Australia (when approved). This is with Matt O'Neill, where you will also receive expert verbal feedback on your coaching skills.
UK, US, NZ > Currency Converter
Save with group access for all your staff
This course is ideal for staff training. Enrol 4 people as a group and receive a complimentary 5th enrolment. For larger staff numbers, ask us about discounts.
MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
I want you to feel comfortable enrolling in your online course, so at any time during the first 30 days from enrolment you would like to cancel your online course, we will provide a refund.*
Details to note
Payment of the course enrolment fee must be received in full to confirm your enrolment. You can pay your tele-interview fee later, if you wish. You can pay by Mastercard or Visa online. If you wish to pay by direct bank deposit, please contact us on (02) 9620 9511 for details.
We respect your privacy and will not share any of your personal or registration details without your express permission.
Enrolments for online courses will be acknowledged by an email by end of next business day. If you do not receive notification within 48 hours of registering online or sending your form, please contact us to ensure we have received your details.
You will receive a Tax Invoice with your course materials.
We want you to feel confident enrolling, so at any time during the first 30 days from enrolment, you would like to cancel your online course, we will provide a refund, minus an admin fee of $50, after the return of course documents.
Course information is correct at time of publication but may be subject to change without notice. SmartShape reserves the right to change course dates and content. The organiser does not take financial responsibility for changes or disruptions that are beyond their control.