Our Approach | Certification | Who should enrol? | Our experts | FAQs
Certificate Courses > 1. Weight Management Essentials | 2. Nutrition for Fat Loss | 3. Physical Activity for Fat Loss | 4. Weight Loss Coaching
Ready to enrol?
You know exercise is good for you, but now its time to take your understanding of physical activity for weight management to a new level.
What is the course about?
Specialist training in cutting edge knowledge and hands-on insight into the best exercise techniques for fat loss are now available in SmartShape's Physical Activity for Fat Loss Course. In this inspiring online course, Matt O'Neill and Allan Bolton will answer your top questions about activity type, timing, calorie burning, hormonal links, muscle gain, mood and much more.
What do people say about this course?
“I learnt new things I will be able to put into practise at
work straight way. The course is also entertaining and fun.”
- S Leach
“I love the way the presenters put everything into
perspective and in an easy-to-understand way. Thanks Matt
and Allan for a great course.” - B Wilding
“Fantastic tag-team presentation.” - D Ruschen
Who is lecturing?
BSpSc(Nut&Diet), MSc(Nut&Diet), APD, AN, Nutritionist & Director, SmartShape Centre for Weight Management
BHMS(Hons), ESSAM, AEP SP. GradCertDiabEd
Targeted course sessions
Session 1 - Physical activity profiling
Session 2 - Fuel processing & usage - Part 1
- Current physical activity trends and predictions
- Sedentary living and obesity
- Analysing individual client activity levels
- Physical activity profiling tools
Session 3 - Fuel processing & usage - Part 2
- Metabolism and energy production
- Energy storage in humans
- Human energy systems made simple
- Fuel use during exercise (fat versus carbs)
Session 4 - Physical activity guidelines
- Fitness & individual energy expenditure capacity
- The truth about the "fat burning" zone
- EPOC explained, the exercise "after burn"
- How to calculate energy used during exercise
Session 5 - Hormone optimisation for fat loss
- Australian national physical activity guidelines
- ACSM physical activity guidelines for weight loss
- Best practice prescription & application
- Exercise tips from the biggest losers
Session 6 - Exercise for maximising muscle mass
- How hormones work for fat loss - insulin, growth hormone, cortisol and more
- Exercise and appetite hormones
- How to create an optimum hormone balance for fat loss
- How to predict and manage hormonal challenges
Session 7 - Bonus benefits of physical activity
- Impact of muscle mass on calorie burning and weight loss
- How to harness anabolic hormones to maximise muscle size
- Best-practise exercise prescription for muscle gains
- Functional training versus machines and free weights
Session 8 - Fitness motivation
- Fatness, fitness and cardiovascular disease
- Type 2 Diabetes - fitness level & muscle maintenance
- Cancer, osteoporosis & functional independence
- Exercise as a mood enhancer
- How to breakdown exercise barriers and excuses
- Managing your "fitness personality"
- Powerful ideas to boost motivation and exercise adherence
- Smart phone apps for tracking progress
In this course you will learn how to:
- Eight interactive sessions by Matt & Allan
- Downloadable course slide notes PDF (optional printed copy)
- Downloadable handouts and templates
- Online links to references and key resources
- Course assessment & Fitness Australia CEC points
- Telephone & email learning support
- Bonus access to Matt O'Neill's Evernote "Physical Activity Notebook" (see more below)
View the course anywhere
- Accurately assess an individuals' activity level
- Explain exactly how exercise burns fat in simple terms
- Share the many hormonal benefits of regular exercise
- Boost muscle metabolism to get faster results
- Make specific recommendations for enhancing fat loss
- Motivate people to overcome exercise barriers
Watch, listen and learn on your computer, tablet, iPhone or Android smartphone whenever you like with wifi.
The online player used for this SmartShape course is device and user-friendly to ensure your positive learning experience. It even remembers where you left off, so you can resume viewing when you next open the presentation.
This course is ideal for:
How long is the course?
- Personal Trainers
- Weight loss consultants
- Dietitians and naturopaths
- Medical practitioners
- Anyone interested in mastering weight management
Approximately 8-10 hours online, with written course activities.
How is it assessed?
Course assessment is optional, but required if you wish to obtain CEC points from Fitness Australia. Assessment consists of:
How many CEC points are available?
- Submission of course activity sheets
- Written post-course exam and case study
10 CEC points from Fitness Australia on successful completion of the course assessment.
Accreditation & qualification
Become a Weight Loss Coach or Consultant with SmartShape's Certificate in Weight Management
Complete this course and the three other SmartShape courses below to become a SmartShape Certified Weight Loss Consultant. Enrol in each course separately.
Weight Management Essentials
Nutrition for Fat Loss
Weight Loss Coaching
Or become a Nutrition Coach with SmartShape's Certificate in Nutrition Coaching
If you would prefer to become a SmartShape Certified Nutrition Coach you should complete the SmartShape Nutrition for Fat Loss Course and the Weight Loss Coaching Course. Enrol in these courses separately.
This short-course is an Accredited Program for Continuing Education with Fitness Australia and awards 10 CEC points upon successful assessment. It provides specialist training in weight management & fat loss in addition to what is provided in the Fitness Instructor (Certificate III) and Personal Trainer (Certificate IV) qualifications.
This course - as is the case currently for all other short courses, certificates and 6-month diplomas - cannot provide you with a nationally recognized qualification as a Weight Loss Consultant. And there is no formal regulation of the weight loss industry in Australia.
So, this means you should choose a course or certificate based on the knowledge, know-how, tools and expert advice it provides to help you understand, feel confident and implement the best science and practise of weight management. This is what SmartShape courses can do for you under the expert guidance of Matt O'Neill.
BONUS Access to Matt's Physical Activity Notebook via Evernote
Weekly news and research updates included
With this course, you receive access to weekly exercise, fitness and physical activity news updates, direct to your smartphone and computer via the Evernote App.
Click to see a sample notebook
This simple app allows Matt to share the best, handpicked and tagged physical activity news, research and links with you. Access to Matt's shared "Physical Activity Notebook" folder is included with your course, so you can stay at the cutting edge of nutrition.
Call 02-96209511 to enrol
Or enrol online or download an enrolment form at the botom of this page.
Online Course Fee - $AUD375
Add $24 for a printed copy of all course slides in notes book posted to you.
Add $54 for notes book posted overseas.
UK, US, NZ > Currency Converter
Email queries - firstname.lastname@example.org
Save with group access for all your staff
This course is ideal for staff training. Enrol 4 people as a group and receive a complimentary 5th enrolment. For larger staff numbers, ask us about discounts.
MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
I want you to feel comfortable enrolling in your online course, so at any time during the first 30 days from enrolment you would like to cancel your online course, we will provide a refund.*
Details to note
Payment must be received in full to confirm your enrolment. You can pay by Mastercard or Visa online. If you wish to pay by direct bank deposit, please contact us on (02) 9620 9511 for details.
We respect your privacy and will not share any of your personal or registration details without your express permission.
Enrolments will be acknowledged with an access email by end of next business day. If you do not receive notification within 48 hours of registering online or sending your form, please contact us to ensure we have received your details.
You will receive a Tax Invoice with your course materials.
We want you to feel confident enrolling, so at any time during the first 30 days from enrolment, you would like to cancel your online course, we will provide a refund, minus an admin fee of $50, after the return of course documents.
Course information is correct at time of publication but may be subject to change without notice. SmartShape reserves the right to change course content. The organiser does not take financial responsibility for changes or disruptions that are beyond their control.