Our Approach | Certification | Who should enrol? | Our experts | FAQs
Courses > 1. Weight Management Essentials | 2. Nutrition for Fat Loss | 3. Physical Activity for Fat Loss | 4. Weight Loss Coaching
Ready to enrol?
With expanding obesity rates and the growing need for nutrition advice to optimise health and weight loss, there's a need for more people to be trained in nutrition.
Fast-track your nutrition knowledge
Your SmartShape Nutrition for Fat Loss Course will fast-track you to feel confident about giving diet advice. You'll learn the science of nutrition and the required practical skills to help people dramatically improve their diet to improve their health, their shape and their lives.
Learn from the best
Designed and delivered online by Matt O'Neill, leading TV Dietitian and weight management expert, your SmartShape Nutrition for Fat Loss Course equips you with know-how and food secrets from Matt's 25 year's experience helping clients and fitness professionals achieve their dietary goals.
Matt will be your dynamic, personal course guide, ensuring that every course session makes sense and fits together, so you can understand and apply what you learn.
Start turning your passion for nutrition into a career
This Fitness Australia Accredited Program provides 10 CECs to extend your fitness training to cover the provision of nutrition advice.
What do people say about this course?
"Matt's online courses are brilliant. Very easy to understand and very interesting." - M Reed
"The course was professional and organised really well. The information was delivered in an easy user-friendly environment." - L Martin
"I loved how the information was so applicable to real people in the real world. Thankyou!" - P Wallach
"The practical, hands-on component was great. Learning how to break down and analyse a diet and make appropriate recommendations was really helpful." - B Wilding
"I just love Matt's great ability to keep information interesting. His use of humour and activities makes learning fun." - S Marryatt
Targeted course sessions
Session 1 - Personal dietary profiling
Session 2 - Fuel processing & storage
- Analysis of modern diet trends & obesity
- Dietary patterns promoting weight gain
- Individual nutrition profiling strategies
- Dietary monitoring & accountability
Session 3 - Hormonal status & diet
- Macronutrient facts (carbs, proteins, fats & alcohol)
- Digestion processes, myths & mysteries
- Energy storage pathways & timelines
- Metabolic calculations for energy requirements
Session 4 - Appetite balance
- Roles of insulin, glucagon, cortisol, growth hormone
- Diet-related hormonal barriers to fat loss
- Dietary manipulation of fat loss hormones
- Optimising hormonal balance for muscle gain
Session 5 - Nutrient-rich eating
- Influence of nutrients & foods on appetite
- Mood-altering properties of foods
- Food addictions to caffeine, alcohol, carbs
- Managing eating triggers & food cravings
Session 6 - Fat loss diet guidelines
- Nutrient levels for optimising metabolic function
- Maximising antioxidants & protective chemicals
- Supplements versus foods for optimal function
- Leveraging low-energy density foods
Session 7 - Popular diets exposed
- Government recommendations & guides
- Hot-off-the-press diet research developments
- Personal nutrient targets for fat loss
- Mucsle building & maintenance strategies
Session 8 - Hands-on nutrition advice
- Nutrient profiles of popular diets
- CSIRO, Atkins, GI, metabolic typing examined
- Evidence for low-fat, low-GI, high-protein diets
- Key strategies of good & bad fat loss diets
What is included?
- Selecting & preparing foods for fat loss
- Essential equipment & quick meal methods
- Supermarket smarts & food label mastery
- Powerful food planning for any situation
In this course you will learn how to:
- Eight sessions of interactive training by Matt O'Neill
- Downloadable course slide notes PDF (optional printed copy)
- Course assessment and 10 CEC points
- Telephone and email learning support available
- 3 Months access to this comprehensive resource
- Bonus access to Matt O'Neill's Evernote "Nutrition Notebook" (see more below)
View the course anywhere
- Pinpont key dietary contributors to weight gain
- Quickly assess individual diets for hidden calories
- Calculate energy requirements to weight loss & gain
- Confidently explain why crash diets backfire
- Build a nutrient-rich, calorie-limited diet
- Feed muscle during the fat loss process
- Use protein & low-GI foods to supress appetite
- Implement strategies to avoid cravings
- Work with hormonal balance for better results
- Evaluate claims for dietary supplements
- Refer to health professionals in appropriate cases
- Enhance your practical food skills in any situation
- Master food label reading and supermarket shopping
Watch, listen and learn on your computer, tablet, iPhone or Android smartphone whenever you like with wifi.
The online player used for this SmartShape course is device and user-friendly to ensure your positive learning experience. It even remembers where you left off, so you can resume viewing when you next open the presentation.
This course is ideal for:
How long is the course?
- Personal Trainers
- Weight loss consultants
- Dietitians and naturopaths
- Medical practitioners
- Interested consumers
- Anyone considering a career in nutrition
Approximately 10 hours
How is it assessed?
Course assessment is optional, but required if you wish to obtain 10 Accredited CEC points from Fitness Australia. Assessment consists of:
How many CEC points are available?
- Submission of course activity sheets
- Written post-course exam and case study
10 CEC points are available from Fitness Australia for this course, when you complete assessment.
Accreditation & qualification
Become a Nutrition Coach with SmartShape's Certificate in Nutrition Coaching
Complete this course and SmartShape's Weight Loss Coaching Course to become a SmartShape Certified Nutrition Coach. Enrol in each course separately.
As formal qualification in nutrition or dietetics requires appropriate university study, this course - as is the case for other short nutrition courses - cannot formally qualify you to design diet plans for individuals. It will however, train you to be a Nutrition Coach who can effectively help people improve their eating habits.
Become a Weight Loss Consultant with SmartShape's Certificate in Weight Management
Complete this course and the three other SmartShape courses below to become a SmartShape Certified Weight Loss Consultant. Enrol in each course separately.
Weight Management Essentials
Physical Activity for Fat Loss
Weight Loss Coaching
This short-course is an Accredited Program for Continuing Education with Fitness Australia and awards 10 CEC points upon successful assessment. It provides specialist training in weight management & fat loss in addition to what is provided in the Fitness Instructor (Certificate III) and Personal Trainer (Certificate IV) qualifications.
BONUS Access to Matt's Nutrition Notebook via Evernote
Weekly news and research updates included
With this course, you receive access to weekly nutrition news updates, direct to your smartphone and computer via the Evernote App.
Click to see a sample notebook
This simple app allows Matt to share the best, handpicked and tagged nutrition news, research and links with you. Access to Matt's shared "Nutrition Notebook" folder is included with your course, so you can stay at the cutting edge of nutrition.
Who's supporting the course?
Matt O'Neill's Nutrition or Fat Loss Course is proudly supported by Nuts for Life. Nuts for Life is a nutrition initiative established for the Australian tree nut industry to provide information about the nutrition and health benefits of tree nuts. These little nature's vitamin pills include almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, chestnuts, hazelnuts, macadamias, pecans, pine nuts, pistachios and walnuts.
Call 02-96209511 to enrol
Or enrol online or download an enrolment form at the bottom of this page.
Online Course Fee - $AUD375
Add $24 for a printed copy of all course slides in notes book posted to you.
Add $54 for notes book posted overseas.
UK, US, NZ > Currency Converter
Save with group access for all your staff
This course is ideal for staff training. Enrol 4 people as a group and receive a complimentary 5th enrolment. For larger staff numbers, ask us about discounts.
MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
I want you to feel comfortable enrolling in your online course, so at any time during the first 30 days from enrolment you would like to cancel your online course, we will provide a refund.*
Details to note
Payment must be received in full to confirm your enrolment. You can pay by Mastercard or Visa online, or by cheque made out to 'SmartShape P/L'. If you wish to pay by direct bank deposit, please contact us on (02) 9620 9511 for details.
We respect your privacy and will not share any of your personal or registration details without your express permission.
Enrolments will be acknowledged by access email by end of next business day. If you do not receive notification within 48 hours of registering online or sending your form, please contact us to ensure we have received your details.
You will receive a Tax Invoice by post with your course folder.
We want you to feel confident enrolling, so at any time during the first 30 days from enrolment, you would like to cancel your online course, we will provide a refund, minus an admin fee of $50, after the return of course documents.
Course information is correct at time of publication but may be subject to change without notice. SmartShape reserves the right to change course content when required due to reasons beyond the control of the organisers. The organiser does not take financial responsibility for changes or disruptions that are beyond their control.